01563 549 712
01294 463 194
CARE OF YOUR RETAINERS
- Retainer wear is your personal responsibility.
- The only way to have permanently straight teeth is to wear a retainer on a part-time basis for life.
- Within 3 to 5 days you will get used to talking (slight lisp) while wearing them. You will find that you produce more saliva than expected; this is perfectly normal and will only last a few days.
- Take the retainers out when you play any contact sports, go swimming, brush you teeth and eat your meals. Leave the brace in a secure container. The reception desk can provide you with a suitable box at a small cost.
- You may wish to have a new mouthguard now that your are wearing retainers. You should wear a mouthguard instead of your removable retainer when you play contact sports. Please ask your Orthodontist if you are interested.
- If the retainer is broken or cannot be worn for any reason, please contact the surgery. Do not wait until the next appointment. Please note that you will be charged to replace/repair your retainers.
- Keep your teeth and retainers very clean. Brush both after every mean with your toothbrush and fluoridated toothpaste.
- To ensure good health of your teeth and gums, please reduce the amount of sugar that you eat of drink.
- Please arrive promptly for your appointment. Late arrivals disrupt the clinic and are unfair to the patients who arrive on time.
- Your retainers have to be worn as instructed by your Orthodontist; otherwise your teeth are likely to return to their original position.
- Remember to bring your retainers to every visit.
- If you have a fixed (bonded) retainer, please remember that you will need to contact the surgery promptly if it comes off completely/partially in order to avoid any tooth movement.
Routine Dental Care
To ensure good dental health, it is important to visit your own dentist at regular intervals.
IF FOR SOME REASON YOU CANNOT ATTEND YOUR APPOINTMENT, TRY AND GIVE US AT LEAST 24 HOURS NOTICE. YOU MAY BE CHARGED FOR FAILURE TO GIVE US SUFFICIENT NOTICE. CURRENTLY, THE CHARGE IS £20.00 / 15 MIN FOR REGULAR APPOINTMENTS.